There are 4 ways in which you can find new weapons and armor:
- By collecting engrams (glowing multi-walled dices) that can be sometimes left by defeated enemies,
- By opening chests - found in different regions during your exploration of the world (their frequency varies) and given to a team after completing an Event on a server,
- As a reward, usually it is one of a few elements that you can choose from when you complete a mission and activity (fights in Crucible or completing Milestones goals),
- Buying from NPCs in base camps - almost every person offers a few items so if one of your items is weaker than your other elements you should quickly buy a better one from an NPC. However, there is a certain limit - the maximum level of items offered by a merchant won't be higher than 200 Power level and those items are the weaker, green class, elements (uncommon).
If you want to buy something you need currency which here is called glimmer. As usual, you get it by completing missions and events. Other ways of getting it is: by dismantling unused and useless elements of your equipment but also by defeating harder enemies during exploration of the world or by opening chests. If you want to dismantle something you must select it in your equipment screen, press the button, visible in the bottom of the screen, and hold it until the process is finished. The higher your level, the better items you can buy from merchants. However, you don't have to change your gear after each new level - especially because you can often find better items in the game world (which are also scaled to your level which means that at level 8 you won't find weak items as when you were at level 4).
The best way to get legendary engrams with random items from that class is to focus on one planet. Each contact in a given region (they give you main missions, they are marked by an character icon) allows you to exchange Tokens to fill up a bar that unlocks an engram. Talk to Tyra Karn in your Farm to decrypt the Engrams for free. White Engrams, on the other hand, are decrypted by Tess Everis. Tokens can be acquired in a few ways:
- Defeating strong enemies (mini-bosses, however, they are rather rare) during your exploration of the map
- Clearing Lost Sector
- Finding chests in locations
- Completing patrols, side quests and public events on a planet
If you aren't interested in exploration, patrols may be a good idea. After that you can take care of the Lost Sectors and, lastly, you can participate in public events. An exception to that may be a situation where you are familiar with an event and you have a group of people that can help you in completing it quickly (it usually takes about 5 minutes).
Besides tokens you can also collect "secrets", each planet has a different one. They aren't as valuable as tokens but you don't have to complete missions to get them. They are randomly placed on a map and they will change their location from time to time. They are unique for each player. If you want to pick them up you simply have to get closer to them and hold the action button. Sometimes, you can see them from afar and because of that climbing on a high place and looking around is a good idea (although when considering their value forcing yourself and searching for them is only good when you really want to do that).
Optionally, you can equip yourself with a Ghost (your robot) at Eververse on The Farm by spending Bright Dust [you receive a few modifications when you complete the story]. A Ghost can detect secrets around you (be careful because one modification is only for one planet). Bright Dust is a residue from Bright Engrams which are awarded for each level above the 20th one or bought using real currency (known as Silver).
Collector's items on each of the planets have green and blue versions (e.g. crystals and shards) and, of course, the blue ones are more valuable - however, you don't have to pay too much attention to them, especially because of the fact that their placement on a map is random. On the planets you can find:
- Io - Phaseglass Needle
- Nessus -Microphasic Datalattice
- EDZ -Dusklight Shard
- Titan -Alkane Dust