This page of the guide to Deathloop explains how to change the times of day and how important they are in terms of gameplay, exploring the available locations and eliminating the main targets - Visionaries.
InDeathloop there is no clock cycle - the time of day does not change automatically as you spend more time in the game.
The time of day is chosen when moving to a particular part of the island, and until the activity on this location is completed, it will not change. The game also does not have a timer that limits how much time you can spend at a certain time of day. The available times of day are morning, midday, afternoon and evening.
The time of day is directly linked to planning the assassinations of Visionaries who are the main antagonists in the game, as well as completing missions and making discoveries. Depending on the time of day, some circumstances may change:
- The locations of Visionaries and their activities
- The location and activities of minor enemies.
- The availability of unique pathways. Some of them may be completely unavailable at certain times of day. During other times of day, you may find some obstacles, e.g. traps or blocked doors that will force you to look for a different path.
- The availability if discoveries (clues) or Leads/missions. Certain clues can be found only at specific times of day, and certain tasks can only be completed only at a pre-determined time period.
- The availability of unique assassinations. As an example, you may only be able to kill a Visionary when they arrive at the ambush site at a specific time of day. Some encounters between the antagonists can also happen only at specific hours, and these are always a great opportunity to take out several Visionaries at once.
Deathloop rewards experimenting and learning about the game world. By learning what can happen in a particular region at a particular time of day, you can eliminate the Visionaries more effectively.
The descriptions of investigations and individual discoveries contain icons that mark the time of day when a given activity is available. Some of them are available at all times, but in most cases it's limited and you can complete or explore certain events e.g. only in the morning or evening. Fortunately, even if you don't manage to do something in the current Loop, you can wait until the next day. You don't have to worry that an activity you ignored for a long time will disappear from the task list.
It's important to note that you don't have to go through all times of day within one Loop. You may choose only those times of the day that fit the things you currently want to do. For example, if you have a mission in the middle of the day, you can speed up the time in the preparation window and skip the morning altogether.