This page answers whether Deathloop has a single-player mode. This can be important knowledge for people who do not want to participate in online battles with other players. In addition, we posted information on what the multiplayer mode looks like and how to activate it.
- As a reminder, Deathloop revolves around the characters of two assassins trapped on an island with an active time loop. Colt in subsequent cycles tries to eliminate important targets and get out of the time loop, while Julianna actively hunts for the mentioned man, treating it as entertainment. This topic is described in more detail on a separate page Colt and Julianna - playable characters.
- Deathloop by default, is a a single-player production. As Colt, you have to reach the next locations on the island and make attempts to eliminate important targets (there are a total of 8 different unique Visionaries (bosses) to kill). There is no co-op mode in the game and at no point do you collaborate with another character. Colt is on his own and has his own weapons and powers.
- During the game, Colt can be attacked by another player controlling Julianna. It is very clearly inspired by the invasions from games in the Dark Souls series. It is possible to take control of Julianna in order to "enter" the world of another player and start hunting him, making it difficult for him to fulfill the objectives of the mission and trying to get rid of him in order to restart the cycle.
- Being "harassed" by other living players is a completely optional mechanic. The game allows you to disable this online element and make Deathloop 100% offline. However, it should be noted that Julianna can still appear and will be alternatively controlled by artificial intelligence. The "ban" for other players on the possibility of entering the ongoing campaign does not significantly reduce the level of difficulty, because Julianna controlled by SI can still attack at unexpected moments and interfere with the elimination of the main objectives of the mission. This is a unique feature of Deathloop. You just have to come to terms with it and accept it - in the game you can't predict everything and the appearance of Julianna always introduces a bit of chaos on the battlefield.
Off-line and online gameplay - how to choose?
When you start a new campaign (as Colt), the game will automatically switch to single-player mode. You don't have to worry about being harassed by other players controlling Julianna right from the beginning. The woman appears in the game world, but she will be controlled by AI.
The current game status is displayed in the menu windows in the upper left corner. Open it to make sure which game mode is currently set as active.
The game will offer you to change the game mode for the first time after completing the Ubiquity mission and dealing with Wenjie (one of the Visionaries). This happens after unlocking the option to save powers and equipment permanently by spending Residuum.
After returning to the preparation window, the game will display a more extensive tutorial - one of its features is unlocking the online mode.
From now on, you can choose from 3 variants:
- Online Mode - literally anyone can control Julianna. She can be controlled by a random player or by AI.
- Friends Only Mode - this setting allows Julianna to be controlled only be people from your friends' list. If none are available, she'll be controlled by an AI. We recommend this choice if you want to avoid malicious players or simply don't wish to play with strangers.
- Single Player Mode - The initial setting, playing without any other people. Julianna is always controlled by an AI.
If you play as Julianna, you must join the online mode. Julianna doesn't do world exploration and assignments like Colt does. Her task is to disturb Colt. By choosing this mode, you will be able to invade other players' worlds (random or from your friends). We described Julianna's in more detail on Invasions - what are they? page.
You can't play as Julianna right from the beginning. Follow the steps above to unlock the online mode. After that, Protect the Loop option will become available from the main menu.
Additional note - For obvious reasons, the online mode requires you to be constantly connected to the game's servers. If for some reason you can't connect to them, the game will allow you to seamlessly continue the current battles off-line. However, the only playable character will be Colt.