On this page of the guide you will find the answer to the question what are the consequences of the death of the main character of Deathloop - Colt.. You'll also learn how to avoid dying by resurrecting yourself with the Reprise power and how to die less frequently.
The most important information about what cycles are in the game world can be found on a separate page of the guide titled Time loops. The following information, in turn, concerns only the topic of death and "resurrection" of the protagonist.
- Key information about death and its consequences
- Reprise - how does the resurrection power work and how to get it?
- How to die less? - practical tips
Key information about death and its consequences
- In Deathloop, the death of the main character has slightly different consequences from other productions of the genre of action games. When you die, you don't get the option to load the last checkpoint in order, for example, to be able to repeat the fight that led to the death of the controlled character. Instead the cycle is restarted, i.e. a new time loop begins and you have to start again to hunt for the objectives of the mission. It is similar mechanics e.g. to the game Returnal.
- "Reborn" hero always wakes up on the beach, in the same place where you started the game for the first time. However, this does not mean that within the new cycle it is necessary to repeat all the actions that led to previous deaths. It is possible and even advisable to change the tactics of the fight in subsequent attempts for example, by going to another area of the island, changing the route of the march through locations with opponents or setting a different order of killing the main objectives of the mission.
- In the game there is a chance to preserve the powers and weapons gained in previous loops. So it is not necessary to count on the fact that Colt will always have to start with basic equipment and a set of abilities. The transferred powers and equipment can clearly make it easier to stay alive in the new cycle. We described this topic on a separate page Weapons and powers - how to keep?.
- Colt can use a power called Reprise, which can save him from the sudden end of the Loop. It is activated automatically when the entire health bar is depleted and reverses the time, allowing the last sequence to be repeated. This power is described in more detail in the next subsection.
- "Ultimate" death doesn't mean you have to start the current mission over. Leads or individual discoveries are saved as you go and are transferred to the next Loop, so you can resume your progress in eliminating the Visionaries and getting out of Blackreef where you left off.
- Deathloop has no death limit, that would end the game definitively. You can keep trying, even if it takes you a long time to reach the happy ending of the campaign and you need to play a lot of Loops.
Reprise - how does the resurrection power work and how to get it?
Reprise is the name of one of the powers which you can use when playing as Colt - the main playable character. It allows you to resurrect the hero after death and you can think of it as having extra lives. The main character can use this ability twice before finally dying and restarting the loop. In Julianna's case, unfortunately, there is no Reprise, and her death will always cause you to fail.
You don't have to look for Reprise on your own, because you will receive it permanently right at the beginning of the game, specifically in the Manor Cliffs (the starting location on the beach). At the end of exploring the cliffs, Colt will acquire the Reprise Slab, which will stay with him till the end of the game, meaning it will work in the background and you won't lose it in subsequent Loops.
The Reprise power activates automatically when you lose all health points. You will be "brought back" a little and resume the game in a place adjacent to where Colt died. In addition, Colt will be invisible for a short time. This is very useful, because you don't have to worry that you will have to start fighting the enemies that killed you immediately after the "resurrection".
When you go back to the previous location, you can move away from the place where you died or plan your route, as well as the fight with the enemies that killed you, differently. This second option is better if you want to recover the Residuum which you had before you lost your life. To do this, you must reach the main character's trace of some sort and interact with it to absorb 100% of the carried Residuum.
It is worth noting that you don't have to hurry to get to Colt's body. It's best to get rid of or distract the enemies nearby to avoid dying in the same spot again.
Reprise allows you to respawn max. two times in one location. The "death counter" is reset not only in subsequent Loops, but also when you move to another district during the same Loop. In short - in each visited location you have 2 extra lives before the ultimate death.
If you die for the third time, and Reprise won't work anymore, you will end the current Loop and move on to the next day. Remember that this will make you lose all equipment that you didn't assign to the character by spending Residuum.
You must be aware that in exceptional situations, Colt can immediately die, without the option of using Reprise. This can happen, for example, if the reactor on Fristad Rock explodes - for more information, see the walkthrough of Afternoon Delight.
If you feel that Colt's "ultimate" death may occur in a moment, and you don't want to restart the Loop, you can "cheat" by pausing the game and returning to the main menu. When the game resumes, you will start exploring the last district from the beginning, but it won't restart the Loop completely.
How to die less? - practical tips
Here are some quick tips on how to die less often in Deathloop:
- Don't attack the enemies if you're not prepared. Reconnaissance is an important part of the game, especially since you can very easily mark and track the surrounding enemies.
- Avoid confrontation with large groups. This can take away your whole health very quickly. You can distract individual enemies, for example, by hacking or throwing bottles.
- Look for stealth attack opportunities. They are much safer than direct combat and can also be very effective, especially in combination with some powers.
- Retreat after losing a lot of health. You should also always combine this with searching for health stations or FiZ-Pop bottles that regenerate health.
- Stay away from deep water. You can easily fall into it by accident and since the character can't swim, you will die.
- Plan your Shift teleportation well. Always make sure that the teleportation destination isn't located e.g. over an abyss or a dangerous location.
For more hints and tips, check out the following pages: Beginner's Tips and Combat and Stealth.