On this page of our guide to Death Stranding you will find a set of information on how to use the vehicles that make it a lot easier to travel around the in-game world. You will learn, among other things, how to get new vehicles, how to drive them and what vehicles have an impact on the gameplay.
- How to get a motorcycle?
- How to get a truck?
- Vehicles of other players
- Key information about using vehicles
How to get a motorcycle?
Game's intro depicts Sam travelling on a motorcycle, but the main character loses this magnificent machine almost immediately. The first few hours of the game have to be spent on foot.
The situation may change only after the completion of Order No. 9, that is after the visit at Wind Station. After you have successfully completed this order you will receive a generator blueprint as a reward. For more details, please visit the How to get a new motorcycle and get it started? page of our guide. In short, you can place a generator next to an idle motorcycle to charge it and drive it later.
Fortunately, the first motorcycle is the only problematic vehicle to get. After you have completed Order No. 23 (Retrieval: System Server), you will get the first two motorcycle blueprints. From now on, you can produce them in allied settlements connected to the network, provided that you have the right materials at your disposal.
How to get a truck?
Obtaining a truck is less of a problem than getting a motorcycle. You can obtain such a vehicle after you move to the central region of the game world. The game doesn't allow you to use trucks parked in allied locations, but you can find MULE trucks by exploring the game world. These can be:
- Parked unused vehicles
- Vehicles driven by MULES - you can wait until the driver gets out of the truck or throw him out of the cab.
Another way to get a new truck is to use crafting and manufacture it in an allied facility. You can get the truck's blueprints after completing Order No. 35.
Vehicles of other players
The methods described above are not the only ones which will allow you to get a motorcycle or a truck. If you play online, you can also use vehicles left behind by other players for free. You can find these machines:
- Directly in the game world
- In the online garage after visiting any settlement which has a safe house (underground facility).
Both of these methods will allow you to save time and save high amount of resources required to produce a vehicle.
Key information about using vehicles
- Every vehicle consumes the battery. You can replenish your battery in two ways - by stopping at the generators (those you have placed yourself and those installed by other players) and by visiting the garage.
- The vehicle may use the battery faster while driving in difficult conditions. This will happen, for example, if you travel with a very heavy cargo, use an afterburner or drive through a deep water.
- You can load additional cargo on vehicles and this is a great way to relieve the main character from carrying a heavy cargo. Trucks can carry the highest amount of load. It is worth noting that machines with extended battery range don't have any additional cargo slots. By using them you agree to an extended range at the expense of less payload.
- Every vehicle can be damaged or even destroyed. If the machine hasn't been completely destroyed, you can return with it to any garage where it will be automatically repaired. In case of complete destruction, reconstruction of the vehicle is impossible and you have to look for another mean of transport.
- Vehicles are stored in garages. Each garage can store up to 4 vehicles - these can be your vehicles, those of other players and those of the online garage. The content of each garage is unique, so if you leave your vehicle in the garage at the location A, you won't find it when you move to the garage in the location B.
- Sam can be thrown off the motorcycle, and it happens when you're attacked by BTs or when you fall into an abyss. If the machine hasn't been completely destroyed, you can resume driving.
- The vehicle can drown. As with hiking, use a scanner to check the depth of the river. If a red icons appear, do not drive your vehicle into the water - as the machine will sink. After that, you won't be able to use it anymore.
- Some vehicles allow you to perform small jumps. You can use this option to help yourself while jumping over a precipice, but also if you get stuck between rocks.