This page of our guide to Death Stranding answers the question of how the main character can be equipped with armor to increase his defensive and make the combat with enemies much easier.
In Death Stranding it is impossible to equip a full body armor, but instead you can equip individual Armor Plates. It is also worth noting that the armor plates operate independently of the exoskeletons we described on the separate page How to get an exoskeleton?.
The game unlocks access to armour plates after completing Order no. 41 (Building Materials Delivery: Waystation North of Mountain Knot City). Armour Plates can be attached to shoulders (2 slots) and hips (2 more slots). In total, you can have four such items installed. Of course, they exclude the possibility of attaching some small types of cargo to the same slots. Armour protects against firearms attacks, so it is especially useful in chapters 4, 7 and 11, where you have to visit different battlefields.
Sam can also be equipped with other pieces of clothing that have a utility character. You will get access to them one by one as you advance in the main campaign. These are the following:
- Exoskeletons - we have described them in more detail on a separate page of this guide.
- Bridges Boots - the best shoes are those of 3rd level. Always replace them when you unlock their better version.
- Power Gloves - these improve grip strength, allow faster climbing up ladders and ropes, increase throwing distance and help you regain balance when you slip down. Power Gloves consume battery, but you should always have them at your disposal.
- Thermal Pad - it helps to maintain the right body temperature. A drop of body temperature can accelerate the exhaustion of stamina. It is worth to travel with it high in the mountains where it snows.
- Oxygen Mask - it allows to avoid poisonous gases occurring in some volcanic locations. It uses up the battery quickly, so equip it only if necessary.