On this page of the guide to Death Stranding, we have compiled the most important information about the shelters - Private Rooms. You will learn, e.g. whether there is more than one shelter and what is their purpose.
Where are the shelters?
During the game, you will be able to use dozens of Private Rooms. Each one looks the same and offers the same features and "attractions". You can find a Private Room in every allied location with an elevator. We are talking, among other things, about the bases in cities or distribution centers. You can move into a Private Room by selecting the appropriate option from the terminal.
You won't find shelters under small locations, such as farms or small buildings that are used to connect successive sections of the network. Even if you interact with the terminal, you won't find the option to stop in a Private Room.
In the later part of the campaign, you will unlock the option to build shelters by using PCC and crafting materials. A shelter can be placed in an open space, but the PCC is used only to build its base. To complete the shelter, you need to deliver the necessary crafting materials.
The important information is that while playing online, you may encounter shelters left by other players. They are fully interactive, that is, you can use their elevator and go to a Private Room.
Why should I visit a Private Room?
The main purpose of Private Rooms is to rest. This action restores the blood (health) gauge and stamina.
The game also does other automatic actions:
- saves your current progress
- replenishes ammunition for firearms
- charges the battery - it is mainly used to provide power to exoskeletons
- creates a blood bag - the bag is automatically added to Sam's inventory. Remember to take it our from Private Locker before you leave.
Another important feature of a Private Room is to regenerate BB (Bridge Baby). The baby calms down completely. Visiting a Private Room is also the only way to (automatically) heal BB from a disease called autotoxemy, which temporarily prohibits the baby from detecting BTs.
Another very important function of the shelter is the option to use fast travel. This option is initially blocked, and you must reach the third chapter - Fragile. During a visit to one of the hideouts, the main hero meets with Fragile, who informs the player that she has an ability similar to teleportation. She will help you in visiting previously visited locations.
To use fast travel, interact with Fragile's "umbrella". Once interacted with, you'll receive an ability - Fragile Jump Fast travel is free, although only the hero is moved. After that, you need to take items from a Private Locker or craft new.
Another group of unique features of the shelter is the option to use the shower and toilet. These actions serve not only to take care of the hygiene of the hero. They can also produce different types of grenades (e.g. based on the hero's urine sample) that can be used against BTs. Grenades, just like blood bags, aren't added to Sam's inventory. You can take them from a Private Locker.
Other available actions:
- The ability to do different faces in the mirror above the sink.
- Ability to view racks with weapons and gadgets.
- Ability to change the appearance of cosmetic items (hats, glasses, etc.).
- The ability to examine the figures behind the bed.
- Ability to examine objects left on the table.
- Ability to interact with the terminal on the wall.
Each shelter has a garage, which can store up to four vehicles. It has three important features:
- Each shelter has a separate garage- each of them can store different vehicles. You have to remember this because if you leave a vehicle in garage A, you won't find it in garage B.
- Getting into the garage repairs the vehicle and restores its batteries. It will only happen if you park in the elevator and go down to the Private Room.
- While playing online, you can use the vehicles of other players. This is a great way to get them without having to spend crafting materials. Vehicles belonging to other players have the same characteristics as yours, so you can use them, for example, to transport the cargo faster.