The main character of Days Gone must survive a harsh territory. Deacon can restore his health by using medicaments like medkits or bandages. You also have to use firearms and melee weapons to defend yourself. Below you can find information on how to get medicaments and ammunition.
The main hero of Days Gone can carry up to three weapons. Firearms are divided into pistols, shotguns or rifles. Each type requires different ammo. You can get it in different ways:
- Defeat human enemies - provided they used the same type of weapon as you did,
- Many camps have ammo chests that will refill your supplies.
- Search trunks of police cars - they always contain a box with ammo. Usually, one ammo box won't be enough to restore your ammo in 100%.
- Purchase ammo in encampments - weapon merchants sell ammunition for every type of firearms. However, this way of refilling ammo is too expensive in the early stages of the game. Instead, you should look for police cars. Note: you can also purchase ammo from lockers found in every unlocked hideout and fast travel point.
- Ammo for the crossbow can be acquired in a different way - Deacon can craft bolts. At first, you will be able to only craft regular bolts - they require cedar saplings.
- Up The Ante (Ranged, Tier V) skill will increase the amount of ammo you can carry.
- Upgrade your bike with Saddle Bags (the earliest you can unlock them is after you reach reputation level 2 in Copeland's Camp). These bags can store additional ammo. However: the box stored in the saddle bags can be used once, even when you only get 5 bullets. Replenish ammo stored in this box by purchasing it from weapon merchants.
- Remember to visit your hideout on top of the mountain when you are in the early stages of the game - the chest near the door can have random items inside, including ammo.
Deacon receives damage from enemy attacks but also from, e.g. falling down from great heights. You need to carry medicaments with you - your health won't regenerate on its own. Bandages restore 50% of health; medkits - 80%.
- Craft basic bandages by using Sterilisers and Rags; usually, you will find them while exploring and looting dead enemies.
- Buy medkits from merchants inside the encampments - at first, their supplies will be limited; requires Trust level 2. Medkits aren't cheap - one unit costs 100 credits.
- Medkits can also be found at the back of any ambulance.
- By default, Deacon can carry 3 medkits and 5 bandages.
- When you want to heal, use the quick item wheel instead of pressing left on the d-pad - you can pick the wrong medicament. Moreover, this method is slower.
Later, you will learn how to craft Stamina Cocktail - it will keep regenerating your health over time. Head Rush (Ranged, Tier V) special skill is also useful - each headshot with this skill restores a bit of your health.