This page of the Days Gone game guide explains how to manually save the game (through regular and quick saves). This is a very useful feature because, despite the presence of auto-saves, you can use it as additional protection against losing your progress in the case of Deacon's sudden death.
Days Gone does not allow you to save the status of the game at any time during the playthrough. This is only possible if you meet certain requirements:
- You cannot save the game if you are riding the motorcycle or generally if Deacon is currently moving.
- You cannot save the game if there are enemies in the close vicinity.
- You cannot save the game if you are currently performing some important activities as part of a storyline mission. This is mainly connected to situations in which Deacon must, e.g. follow someone, or defend himself against a scripted enemy attack.
- You can save the game only if you are near Deacon's motorcycle or next to a bed.
- In the case of the motorcycle (example in picture 1), Deacon can stand next to it or sit on the motorcycle, while it is standing in place.
- Beds (example in picture 2) can be found in the encampments that you visit and unlock during the game. If the camp had previously belonged to your enemies, then you should find a bed in a bunker underneath the camp.
There are two ways of creating your own saves:
- Creating a save from the level of the pause menu. You can save your progress on several different slots (their number is limited). This is a good way to protect yourself if, e.g. you make a wrong decision in a mission and you want to go back a few tasks.
- Creating a quick save. In this case, simply hold down the triangle button, while standing next to the motorcycle or bed.