Defeating the Mantis Shrimp, one of the bosses in Dave the Diver, can be quite challenging. On this page of our guide we show how to initiate the encounter with the giant shrimp (Stormy Night 2 side quest), how to avoid attacks with its large boxing gloves, how to use the hanging sphere, and how to attack the boss's only weak point successfully.
How to reach Mantis Shrimp's lair?
- The Mantis Shrimp is one of the most difficult bosses encountered in Dave the Diver. Fortunately, the fight is completely optional, being a part of Stormy Night 2 side quest.
- To unlock Stormy Night 2, you need to first complete the first quest in the chain (Stormy Night 1) which sees you fight another major boss - Truck Hermit Crab. Sometime after the conclusion of the first quest, Sato will contact you again, informing you of the appearance of a new Vortex. For the purpose of exploring the Vortex, you need to arrive during a stormy night (diving in the evening), and completing this pre-requisite takes you to the boss arena.
- Preparations for the battle should include arming Dave with a good weapon, equipping Charms that will be useful in the encounter (e.g. additional dodge), or taking an extra air tank with you.
How to defeat the giantic shrimp boss?
- Mantis Shrimp is equipped with large boxing gloves and throws "punches". Attacks are telegraphed in advance and to avoid them, you can quickly swim up, down or to the left. This should protect you from any damage.
- There is only one way of dealing damage to the shrimp - attacking its eyes - but only if it doesn't protect them with gloves, as then your attacks are useless.
- Successsful striking the eyes can cause the shrimp to send out a shockwave. If it reaches you, try to avoid being thrown to the spikes on the left side of the arena. Immediately after the shockwave, the shrimp will start charging a powerful punch. When that happens, you need to quickly grab the yellow handle and use it to raise a large sphere. The boss's attack should be mitigated by the sphere. This counter will stun the boss and use this opportunity to fire a few shots at the beast's eyes.
- At the bottom part of the arena, you can find air tanks, ammunition and high-quality weapons. If needed, restock or pick up a stronger weapon if yours are insufficient.
- Continue firing the weapons at exposed eyes of the monster. With enough hits, the battle will end.