People of Cyberpunk 2077's world. Cyberware is one of the most important features of the game. It will not only make you more powerful, but also facilitates everyday affairs. On this tutorial page, you will find out if installing the Cyberware is required to complete the game, and if you can finish the campaign with an unmodified character.
For more information, we recommend having a look at the separate page Character development – how does it work? in our game guide.
- Basic information about the Cyberware
- Cyberware - do I have to install it?
- How will the game look like if I decide not to use Cyberware?
Basic information about the Cyberware
Here are some basic information about the implants:
- You can find, receive, or buy Cyberware. Each of them is very valuable - the prices of the best implants can be even tens of thousands of credits.
- You can't install Cyberware by yourself - you have to visit a ripperdoc. Their icons are visible on the Night City map.
- Installation and purchase of the Cyberware may have additional requirements such as specific Street Cred level or upgrading one of the main attributes.
- The Cyberware can be active or passive. Active implants can unlock new types of skills and attacks, e.g. allow you to use auto-aiming weapons, scan your enemies, or to slow down time. Passive implants increase the character's statistics and are active permanently.
- The Cyberware can be improved by installing modifications. This may allow you to unlock a new feature of the implant or to strengthen its existing function.
- Unnecessary implants can be sold and it can be a good idea to get more credits quickly.
- You can also install the operating system on the Cyberware screen. Individual OSs differ in the amount of RAM and the number of hacks to install. You can find more information on the Hacking page in our guide.
Cyberware - do I have to install it?
At the start of the game, V has no implants installed, i.e. all slots on the Cyberware screen will be empty.
The situation changes after the main quest - The Ripperdoc. As part of this task, V will meet with ripperdoc, Viktor, in his office. You will be forced to install the first two implants including the Kiroshi Optics implant to enhance the main character's vision.
The installation of all other Cyberware is completely optional. The game also allows replacing the implants installed during the first meeting with Viktor.
How will the game look like if I decide not to use Cyberware?
Lack of Cyberware makes the gameplay more difficult - you won't be able to use advanced attacks and skills and you won't increase the main character's statistics. It may also be more difficult for you to fight opponents with offensive Cyberware.
The game in no way rewards playing with a "pure" character. We strongly recommend installing as many higher quality implants as possible to make V stronger.