This page contains a detailed description of unlocking the bronze trophy called "Crash Cubed" in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back for PlayStation 4. This trophy is awarded for making collecting 99 lives.
The current number of lives can be checked by pressing Triangle while playing or by selecting the load and save menu (L2).
New lives can be gained by:
- Collecting tokens with Crash's likeness - they can be found out in the open or be hidden in wooden crates;
- Collecting apples - 100 apples collected equal 1 extra life.
Here' s a few tips on how to unlock this trophy:
- Try to remember about this trophy since the very beginning of the game and play in a way that lets you unlock it as soon as possible. You can't completely block access to it but if you, for example, lose all lives, then collecting 99 lives will take a lot of time.
- Try to die as rarely as possible in all levels (don't die at all if possible). Before you start a new stage, it's a good idea to create a manual save game. If you die too many times, you can exit, load the game, and restart the level with the "original" number of lives.
- Look for ways to start bonus rounds and unlock secret passages AT ALL TIMES. In many locations of these types, you can find additional lives.
- If you finished all levels and still don't have 99 lives, start replaying the easiest levels from the beginning of the game. You really have to try hard to die in them.
The missing lives can also be acquired by "deception". Start the Bee-Having level from the Alpine Warp Room. In this level, you can run across nests with groups of five bees in them. Move through the initial areas of this stage and stop once you reach the checkpoint shown in the picture. There, the big nest neighbors a gate with electrical discharges. Position Crash precisely between the nest and the gate.
The key to success is to launch attacks right after bees start to fly out of the nest. Perform the Slide attack towards the nest (Circle) and then launch the Spin attack right after (Square). Both actions should get rid of the bees without the risk of Crash dying (if you fail, there is a checkpoint right next to you, anyway).
Every group of bees that you defeat leaves an extra life. Repeat the process described above until you collect the number of lives required to unlock the trophy.