The game guide you're reading aside from being highly illustrated also uses different colors to help the readers in recognizing certain types of collectibles - vigors are marked with a green color, infusions are marked in orange, equipment is marked with a blue color and voxophones/kinetoscopes/telescopes are marked in red. One last thing to know is that the structure of the guide resembles chapters found in the game and you can repeat a chapter you've already completed by choosing the 'load chapter' option from the main menu.
Here's a bunch of very useful gameplay hints:
- Fire short bursts to preserve good accuracy.
- You can change difficulty level from the options menu at any time.
- Think before you shoot. Not every situation has to end with a battle!
- Choose the gameplay menu to learn the details of your current assignment.
- If you'll hold the trigger while using the Hail Fire weapon, then the projectile will explode after you've let him go.
- Aim for the hearts of Handymen to increase the amount of damage they receive.
- A Handyman can electrify the sky-lines for a short period time, inflicting damage to anyone that is using them. Stay away from the sky-lines if there's a current running through them!
- Elizabeth can read ciphers that describe the locations of secret Vox Populi stashes. Find the cipher and a corresponding code book to uncover the hidden treasure.
- You don't have to protect Elizabeth during combat, because she can take care of herself.
- Elizabeth can sometimes find useful gear and suggest to throw it to you during the battle.
- You can ask Elizabeth to use lockpicks to open doors protected with padlocks.
- Possess your enemies to make them your (temporary) allies.
- The possession ability works on only one target at a time. Possessing a new opponent results in losing control over the previous one.
- Once the possession has stopped working your victim will commit suicide.
- One of the Elizabeth's abilities is to open tears (portals) and it can be used to summon new equipment, new allies or additional shields.
- Shooting at the back of the Mechanized Patriot inflicts extra damage!
- Once you've been saved from certain death you will regain some of your health, but the same thing will happen to your enemies. You'll also lose some money.
- You can detonate Shock Jockey's crystals by shooting at them.
- The faster you are on a sky-line, the more difficult target you are for your enemies.
- Using the aiming devices while travelling on sky-lines allows to easily track your targets.
- Stealing from others can have some very unpleasant consequences...
- Elizabeth can open only one tear at a time. Opening a new tear automatically closes the previous one.
- Enemies drop their weapons when they die. Test these new toys.
- Remember to use vigors!
Changing your difficulty level results not only in the amount of resources (ammunition, cash etc). you find, but also affects many of the player's statistics and it's not that obvious. As a result it's recommended that you take a look at the table seen below, especially if you're planning on finishing the game on the 1999 difficulty setting. Here's a list of the modifiers affecting the gameplay depending on the current difficulty:
Shield regeneration delay
Shield regeneration speed