1. Time is the most important currency in the game. You start each day at 8:00 AM and you end your service at 6:00 PM. During the conversations the time stops and you will see letters Zzz on the clock then. You don't need to hurry while talking or make rushed decisions, although in some choices you will see a blue bar that means you must react dynamically.
2. You will have to train a lot before you will be able to complete all tasks and calls during the day. Running is vital. In order to increase stamina you should frequently eat in a few places of the map. This enables you to regenerate stamina. If it is too low, then you will become tired quicker and Jack will start complaining that he is hungry. At first you can count on a free breakfast in Moonwalk and a bag of doughnuts in the shop near the church (only if your respect among the citizens is high enough).
3. Almost every activity impacts one of the three factions and people that live in the district. Many situations impact more than one group. A very bad reputation at Police, Mob or the Crew will end the game (in more or less brutal way)! Good opinion sometimes opens new possibilities and usually enables you to do something against other faction without having to worry about consequences. Respect can also impact some conversations. The people on the street will also comment your actions. If someone has something for you to do, a cloud will appear above him.
4. Listen to the sergeant! Every day he will give you new tasks, usually a number of tickets that you must issue during each shift. Sometimes he will want you to issue them not a specific number of times, but for a specific thing, for example for broken headlamps. Remember to focus only on such cars as tickets given for different offences won't count for the daily limit. Sometimes you will be offered bribes for sparing the ticket. The time left to the end of the day and your relations with the Police should determine whether you accept them. Remember that sometimes you might encounter a provocation: taking bribes is a crime.
5. Tickets can be given by clicking on the car and selecting the proper option (first you can check some things, like the remaining parking time). After some time you will gain experience and be able to issue tickets without checking (for example for parking in the no parking zone). Then all you need to do is press the tickets on the belt and select the right car.
6. Speak with your colleagues before starting duty. Not only can you hear some funny dialogues, but you can also learn whether the undercover agents from internal affairs will be spying on you or whether your colleagues are planning to attack the gang in your area (you can inform the faction about it to gain its trust).
7. Money is important during most of the game. You will need it to pay alimony every few days or the game will end prematurely. For dollars you can also buy food, drugs or improve your reputation by bribing the priest. You will get constant salary if you fill your ticket quota. If you issue twice the number of tickets you are required to issue, you will receive a bonus. The money can be also received from missions, poker, bribes and tasks from Mob/Crew.
8. If you want to solve the main plot - the case of the items stolen from the Senator - a long and hard road awaits you. You must thoroughly use the information that you will obtain. They will be gathered in the notebook. If you gain information that points you to someone at a specific hour, then you must go there at that time. Otherwise you will lose your chance and block the possibility to solve the case. Sometimes the case won't move for many days; you must be patient and vigilant.
9. After a few days a drug dealer will appear every day (a cloud with happy face). You can ignore him, buy drugs (50-60$, you will get +5 stamina) or arrest the dealer (-15 relation with the Crew, +10 police relations). The dealer will appear every day, so you can use him to quickly improve your relations with the police or to immediately regenerate stamina. The mob will also appear every few days to extort money from two nearby shops. If you react and interrupt the mob, you will receive +3 Police relations, -10 Mob relations, and your respect among the citizens will increase. Sometimes you will be informed which shops you must visit, but sometimes you must find them on your own. It's easy to recognize: before the extorted shop there is always a mob member dressed in black.
10. In the church you can get "absolution" from one of the two criminal groups. By giving away 200$ you can improve your relation with the Crew or with the Mob by 10 points. If you already paid the alimony or one of the factions is very much against you, you should visit priest Mushroom. You can use his services once per day.