Baldurs Gate 3: Overgrown Ruins / Roadside Cliffs map
Baldurs Gate 3 guide, walkthrough
Key points of Baldurs Gate 3 - M2 - Overgrown Ruins / Roadside Cliffs
Important locations on the map
Powerful enemies and traps
Unique passageways and treasures
New potential team members
This page of the Baldurs Gate 3 game guide revolves around the M2 map covering two areas - Overgrown Ruins and Roadside Cliffs. From our description, you will learn about the most important locations to explore, potential threats, and places where you'll be able to add new characters to your party.
Important locations - Overgrown Ruins and Roadside Cliffs
4. Fishermen and Mind Flyer. The monster has partial mind control and tricks the fishermen by posing as a girl. You can complete a skillcheck and make the scales fall from their eyes or become their target. In the latter case, expect a battle that can be quite demanding for a weak team.
When attempting to contact a dying monster, he may try to take control of the main character's mind - if he does not defend himself, the hero will die and the monster will be reborn in the same place with a large number of health points. You'll have to beat him then.
6. The entrance to the chapel. Be careful of vines - you can receive Piercing damage upon touching them. It is best to avoid them all from a long distance.
There is a group of looters in the chapel ruins. You can attack them (preferably by surprise - you can, for example, drop a heavy load on talking people with a distance attack) or pass one of the skills tests and get the characters from this location to leave the chapel ruins peacefully.
Bonus dungeon - Dank Crypt
The Dank Crypt is one of the larger dungeons located beneath Overgrown Ruins. There are 3 main ways to enter the crypt:
- Use the thief's tools to open the door on the beach (the blue 2 on the map), in the place where you've met and recruited the Shadowheart cleric. The location is shown in the picture above.
- Use the thief's tools to open the hatch located at the east end of the map (the blue 8 on the map).
- Reach the crypt from the Bedroom side. The entrance to this bonus location is in the area of a ruined chapel (the blue 7 on the map).
The crypt is dark, so it'll be a good idea to use the torch. We described its mechanics on the page Torch - how to light up?. The alternative is to use an ability, for example, the Darkvision.
The first large chamber of the crypt stores several sarcophagi, with the largest central sarcophagus surrounded by traps that will activate when try to plunder it. You can find traps with successful perception skillcheck (vents on the floor and "spitting" statues on the walls). You can try to deactivate them using a set for disarming the traps. In the central sarcophagus, you can find an Engraved Key and an uncommon green two-handed white weapon - The Watcher's Guide. In the other sarcophagi is a smaller loot.
In the main chamber, you can examine the corpses of the scribes (you will find Heavy Key). There are many chests in the area containing, for example, magic scrolls. The most important finding is the hidden passage shown in the picture. To open it, you have to pass a perception skillcheck and discover the button. Pressing the button leads to a fight with the Undead - it's better to be prepared.
There is another sarcophagus in the secret chamber. When attempting to interact with it, a Hooded Skeleton appears and asks the character a question. You can answer it (in different ways) or say no. In the secret room, you will find the Amulet of Lost Voices, which allows you to communicate with the dead when equipped.
Bonus location - Bedchamber
The Bedchamber is a smaller additional location next to the ruined chapel. You can get there in 3 ways:
- Knock on the door of the ruined chapel (blue 7 on the map) - the place shown in the picture above. When talking to the Guardian, you must pass one of the skillschecks for performance or deception. A successful attempt will convince the guard to open the door.
- Use the thief's tools to open the door in the ruined chapel.
- Use the door to the Bedchamber in the Dank Crypt.
Note - If you have chosen Option 1 or 2, you must get rid of the sentry guarding this place after entering the bedroom (even if you have successfully deceived him during the conversation).
If you start your exploration of the Bedchamber from a side room, you can open the door by lighting two small candles on the sides (the location is shown in the picture).
When exploring this location, you will encounter living enemies. A group of opponents waits in a larger chamber, but you can attack them by surprise. Loot can be found in plain sight, in various containers, and on the bodies of defeated enemies. One of the looters has the Bandit's Key.
1. Shadowheart. A cleric stands at the entrance to the ruins. After a brief conversation, you can invite her to join the team permanently. Be sure to take this opportunity, because you'll need her offensive and healing/supportive spells.
2. Astarion. The Half-elf tries to deceive the hero during their first encounter. You can get knocked out. Try to defend yourself by passing a skillcheck. After a brief conversation with Astarion, you can make him part of the team permanently. For more information about meeting with Astarion, see the List of Playable Characters page.
A frightened boar may be nearby - you can try to tame it or kill it.
3. Gale. The Wizard will appear upon approaching the portal / rune circle of the Roadside Cliffs location. You can easily add Gale to the team permanently. You'll get a useful aid to cast spells.
4. Lae'zel in a cage. The Fighter is held captive by the Tieflings - you can defeat them in battle (preferably after a surprise attack) or pass one of the skillchecks. Depending on your approach, you may be faced with the choice of whether to ally with the Tieflings or with Lae'zel - choose the latter option, of course, as Lae'zel cannot be killed or attacked by you if you want to recruit her.
Other map information Overgrown Ruins / Roadside Cliffs
The areas shown on the map will become available for exploration after completing the prologue, that is, after surviving the Nautiloid catastrophe (map M1 in our guide). Unlike the linear exploration of a flying ship, in this case, you have much more freedom of action. You don't have to follow the established route.
Keep in mind that some hard-to-reach places (e.g. higher or distant rock ledges) can be accessed by jumping. This will allow you to visit many optional areas, not only on this map but also in the next locations.
Try to recruit all the characters in this area as soon as possible. By adding new team members, it is easier to win battles, and you can use their skills, for example, to explore the world.