This page of the Baldurs Gate 3 game guide answers whether it is possible to free Shadowheart cleric and other people imprisoned in the pods during the prologue. This is important information because it involves trying to recruit a potential team member.
You will reach the capsule room during the exploration of the upper level of the Nautiloid flying ship. The location is shown in the above screenshot.
You will find a terminal with three buttons. Each button has a different application:
- Pressing the left button (1) has no effect.
- Pressing the middle button (2) will free some people from the pods. They will be under the control of Mind Flayers and will attack the team. Fighting these NPCs is not difficult, but there are no special perks involved (you get only 1 experience point).
- Pressing the right button (3) will lead to the death of those in the capsules.
In one of the pods, a female cleric - Shadowheart - is held captive. The game will let you:
- Take a look at the capsule's opening mechanism.
- You have to pass a skillcheck to investigate the pod. An attempt to break the magic lines surrounding the capsule will be unsuccessful.
- Leave the woman to fend for herself.
Unfortunately, you can't free the cleric anymore. She must remain locked in the capsule until the campaign prologue ends.
Shadowheart appears in the first act of the game, shortly after reaching Ravaged Beach. You must head north-east and reach the entrance to the Overgrown Ruins. The cleric will stand by the closed door. The woman will comment on whether you tried to free her from the pod, although no matter how you behaved, you can make her a permanent member of the team.
For more information on the recruitment of Shdowheart and other potential companions, see the Playable Characters List page.