On this page of the guide to Baldurs Gate 3, you will find information about how to get inside the Overgrown Ruins. Exploration of this dungeon is one of the first tasks you will receive while playing Act I of the campaign.
- Entrances to the ruins
- Entrance 1 - Beach
- Entrance 2 - Chapel
- Entrance 3 - Hatch
- Entrance 4 - Hole in the chapel's ruins
Entrances to the ruins
The four main entrances to the ruins are marked on the map above. Choose any of them to advance in the quest and explore the ruins.
Entrance 1 - Beach
This entrance is neighboring the Ravaged Beach - the area where you found yourself after finishing the prologue. This means you can reach this entrance faster than the other ones. The protagonist will encounter the Shadowheart cleric here. She is trying to open the door leading to the dungeon. The cleric woman can join your party.
You may try lockpicking the door. To do it, you need to have Thieves' Tools - you can find them, for example, in one of the nearby barrels.
You can learn how to use the lockpicks in the Opening locks page of your guide. Before you try opening the door, you should save your game - if you fail, you will lose the Theves' Tools. If you saved the game, when that happens, you can simply load the game and try again. The passage leads to the Dank Crypt.
Entrance 2 - Chapel
This entrance can be found near the Chapel that you can reach from south-west. Once you arrive, you will encounter a group of looters. You can:
- Start fighting them. If you decide to fight, you should surprise attack your foes even before you start a conversation. You can easily drop the object hanging above the first two enemies.
- Convince the looters to leave. There are a few different skill checks available - persuasion, intimidation, warrior, and deception. You should check all of them and see whether any offers a guarantee bonus to the dice throw. This will increase your chances for passing the test.
Regardless of how you dealt with the challenge, go to the door that leads to the chapel. Interacting with the door will trigger a conversation with the character that is guarding the door. You can:
- Try passing one of the new skill checks - performance or deception. A successful attempt will convince the guard to open the door.
- Use the Thieves's Tools and try lockpicking the door. Remember to save your game in case of losing the tools.
Once you use the door, you will enter the Bedchamber. There, you must defeat the guard who protected the door.
Entrance 3 - Hatch
This option lets you explore the side area shown in the picture. The area is located east of the chapel. The area isn't guarded at all.
Your task is to find the hidden hatch marked in the picture. In order to reach the hatch, you must get down across the tied roots. Click on them to perform this activity.
The hatch is locked - you need Thieves' Tools in order to try to open it.
You can learn how to use the lockpicks in the Opening locks page of your guide. Before you try to open the hatch, you should save your game - if you fail the lockpicking, you will lose the Thieves' Tools. If you saved the game, when that happens, you can simply load the game and try again. The passage leads to the Dank Crypt.
Entrance 4 - Hole in the chapel's ruins
This option is the least obvious – you will have to create a hole in the ground in the ruins of the chapel. Look at the looters talking - a foundation block hangs above them. You can use any ranged attack (e.g. bow) to hit the rope and drop the block on 2 opponents.
This will lead to a battle with other looters from the ruins. After dealing with them, check out the newly created hole. Click on it, and you will move to the dungeon.