This page answers a very important question – can you change the difficulty level in Baldur's Gate 3. This is useful when, for example, you are unable to win a difficult fight.
How to change the difficulty level?
The version of Baldur's Gate 3 that debuted on October 6, 2020 in Early Access does not offer the option of changing the difficulty level. It is unfortunately imposed. You cannot set the difficulty level when starting a new campaign or during the campaign.
When you try to load one of the created safes, you will find that the only available level is called Classic.
The option to change the difficulty level will be added in the future with one of the updates. Unfortunately, the authors of BG3 did not give any specific date.
How to win difficult fights?
The high difficulty level can become apparent when you encounter 1 or a few stronger opponents that you can cause you problems. Here are some proven solutions to this problem:
- Try to do the quest differently to avoid combat. This is not always possible, although, in some quests, the fight is the result of a "badly" done conversation or a failed skill test. You can load the save done before the meeting and try to complete it in a different way.
- Try to join new party members early in the game. This is especially important right after the prologue – you start alone on the beach. By recruiting Shadowheart, a female cleric standing by the ruins, you won't have any problems with defeating the first group of Intellect Devourers (this fight is shown in the picture - you can use, for example, order the cleric to cast offensive spells). You can find other valuable companions in the next parts of the "starting" location. Try to command a 4-member party (and a universal one, if possible) as soon as you can.
- Check the cards with information about encountered enemies - you can do this by pressing the right mouse button after moving the cursor on the enemy and selecting the investigate option from the drop-down menu. You can learn about the weaknesses of a given enemy, e.g. its reduced resistance to specific types of attacks or elements.
- Try to go around strong opponents. Using stealth is much riskier because you can be easily detected. A better option is to find an alternative path to avoid enemy forces.
- Return to the challenging fight later in the game. This may not always be possible. However, if these enemies are related to some optional activity, you can go back to them after leveling up your party members, equipping them with better weapons, armor, consumables, and spells.