In this chapter of the Baldurs Gate 3 guide, you will find the general character class characteristics of Ranger.
Ranger is one of the character classes available in Baldurs Gate 3. Their combat training focuses primarily on techniques that are particularly useful and effective in combat against their favorite enemies. As they live in harmony with nature, they have a lot of knowledge of wild places to which untrained characters would not even dare enter. They are even capable of talking to animals and taming them so they will accompany them on their journey and fight alongside them. Ranger's characteristic traits involve knowledge of various fighting styles and great dexterity, but they also can cast nature-based spells. Because Ranger's main weapon is the bow, he is able to deal great damage from a distance but can also serve as a scout for the party.
Depending on your preferred style of play, a Ranger in Baldurs Gate 3 can be developed in different ways, but there are 3 main attributes that govern him: Dexterity, Wisdom and Constitution.
Dexterity is the main attribute of every Ranger, which supports the most common fighting styles like archery and dual wielding.
Wisdom is used to cast spells, it determines the chance of hitting a target with a spell.
Not only will it increase your character's overall health, but it will also help your character maintain concentration while casting certain spells.
When playing as Ranger in Baldur's Gate 3, you will be able to choose your favored enemy, giving you an advantage over him.
- Bounty Hunter: you receive proficiency in Investigation and access to passive Thieves Cant skill. Creatures that remain under your influence will have problems with escaping you;
- Keeper of the Veil: you specialize in hunting creatures from other spheres of existence. You get access to a spell called Protection from Evil and Good;
- Mage Breaker: in the past, you fought Mages, so now you have the advantage when fighting this type of opponent. You gain proficiency in Arcana and access to True Strike skill;
- Ranger Knight: you gain proficiency in History and wearing Heavy Armour;
- Sanctified Stalker: you gain proficiency in Religion and access to the Sacred Flame spell.
Given the above possibilities, it is best to choose either Mage Slayer or Keeper of the Veil favored enemy.
Natural Explorer is a class-based ability of the Ranger that gives him an advantage in combat under certain conditions or provides other useful skills.
- Beast Tamer: the protagonist has a strong bond with animals, thanks to which he has been given the ability to use the Find Familiar spell, which summons one of several companions - spider, raven, rat, frog, crab, and cat. Each has different abilities;
- Urban Tracker: you are proficient with Disguise Kits and Thieves Tools;
- Wasteland Wanderer - Cold: the protagonist has immunity to the cold, resulting in receiving only half of injuries from cold;
- Wasteland Wanderer - Fire: the protagonist is resistant to fire, which causes him to receive only half the damage from fire;
- Wasteland Wanderer - Poison: the protagonist is resistant to poison and receives only half of the damage from poison;
Consider choosing two of the available: Beast Tamer and Urban Tracker. Having an extra companion increases your team's offensive capabilities, and Thieves' Tools can bring additional rewards to you.
When creating a Ranger, you will be able to choose 3 of the 8 abilities available. It should be noted here that some of these may already be assigned because of the chosen race of the hero and cannot be changed.
- Animal Handling: a skill that allows you to gain the trust of wild animals to, for example, calm or control them;
- Athletics: a skill that allows your character to navigate terrain obstacles through climbing, jumping, or swimming;
- Insight: a skill that allows the protagonist to see through people and sense suspicious situations, break through lies and other forms of deception;
- Investigation: a skill that allows you to extract a lot of valuable information from people, but also from objects;
- Nature: the protagonist will be able to recall information about the terrain, plants and animals;
- Perception: a skill that allows you to hear, detect or otherwise feel the presence of something strange in your environment, such as a hidden passage or trap;
- Stealth: stealth is an extremely useful skill that allows you to navigate the terrain while out of your opponent's visual area, sneak behind your enemies ' backs and make crushing hits or simply avoid combat;
- Survival: a skill through which your hero will gain valuable knowledge on tracking, hunting, and recognizing natural hazards.
It is best to choose skills that are based on the basic attributes of a Ranger, i.e. Animal Handling (Wisdom), Perception (Wisdom), Stealth (Dexterity), Survival (Wisdom), Insight (Wisdom).
Upon reaching level 2, a Ranger can choose his preferred fighting style. You will be able to choose one of the four options available.
- Archery: the hero receives a bonus of 2 for attacks made with a ranged weapon which influences the chance of hitting the target;
- Defense: gain +1 to armor class (likelihood of being hit);
- Dueling: the hero will cause additional damage (+2 to damage) when he holds a weapon in one hand and leaves the other empty;
- Two-Weapon Fighting Style: increases the damage inflicted by the weapon held in the other hand.
The best choice for a Ranger specializing in ranged combat will, of course, be Archery. However, if you want to focus on fighting with two weapons (dual wielding), and use the bow as an auxiliary weapon, it is better to choose Two-Weapon Fighting Style.
After reaching level 3, a Ranger will have to choose one of two specializations.
- Hunter: a specialization that allows your hero to learn specialized techniques to fight a particular threat so that he can perform additional offensive actions;
- Beast Master: a specialization that allows your hero to form an unusual friendship with an animal companion (beast) who will be present at your side as you travel through the vast world of Baldur's Gate 3 and is additionally trained to fight.