Hacking in The Ascent is done with a cyberdeck, which you can use from the very beginning of the game. However, it is worth knowing when you can use hacking and how to improve cyberdeck to make it more effective. This guide page describes how hacking works.
What is hacking used for?
When you press the hacking button, a circle will appear around the character - everything within it will be hacked (provided the object can be hacked, and the cyberdeck is at the appropriate level). You can use hacking in the following situations:
- Opening blocked passageways - some passages require hacking the nearby terminal.
- Opening chests - some chests are locked. You need hacking to open them. If the chest is not responding to hacking, you need to upgrade the cyberdeck.
- Detonating exploding objects - exploding barrels can be detonated not only by shooting but also by hacking.
- Hacking machines - a hacked vending machine won't take credits from you. If you succeed, all items will fall out of it automatically.
- Hacking turrets - in some locations, you will find automatic turrets. Successful hacking will make the turret start shooting at enemies instead of you.
How to improve cyberdeck?
As mentioned above, you need to upgrade your cyberdeck to hack certain objects. This is done by finding cyberdeck improvements. They are scattered all over the world, but most of them can be found during the main missions. Focus on doing a few main missions to improve the cyberdeck and unlock the ability to open locked chests.