As in many games, at the beginning of the game Link is a rather weak character, who, given time, will possess more and more powerful skills and equipment. There are several key areas, in which you can upgrade and improve your character:
- Equipment - as you might easily guess, one of the best options to improve Link's capabilities is to get new equipment for him. As you make progress in the game you will gain access to new areas, where you will find a large number of new weapons and armour, that will make the game significantly easier.
- Armour upgrades - you can upgrade your armour at the Great Fairy Fountains. All you have to do, is pay an initial fee in Rupees and deliver the appropriate materials to the fairy. Improved armour has much higher defensive statistics, which make Link a much tougher opponent.
- Additional hearts - you can earn extra hearts in the game in two ways. You can exchange four Spirit Orbs for one heart at a goddess statue in a town, or complete a dungeon. Each of the four dungeons in the game adds one heart.
- Improved stamina - just like in the case of hearts, you can offer four Spirit Orbs and receive a stamina upgrade. Additional stamina will allow you to do more climbing, swimming, gliding, etc. Which will make it easier to get to new locations in the game.
- Additional item slots - it is necessary to collect Korok Seeds for Hestu, who will increase your number of item slots as a prize. This is very useful, especially in the later stages of the game, where it is worth collecting weapons from specific enemies.
Additionally, remember that you can temporarily enhance the capabilities of your character with the help of crafting:
- You can cook meals that offer a variety of improvements and regenerate life. Many meals offer e.g. temporary hearts, or armour increases, which is useful when dealing with a challenging fight.
- You can prepare unique potions that offer a variety of bonuses and enhancements. To brew a potion you need monster parts, which are nothing more than the remnants of the enemies you defeat. You can connect them to so-called critters, namely toads, insects, etc. and as a result create elixirs. They will allow you to gain additional resistances and will strengthen Link overall.