Cooking is very important in this game. Meals you prepare will replenish health and can often add powerful buffs that reinforce Link. They can be consumed during fights, so it's of the highest priority to always have some meals prepared and ready to be used in your backpack. As concerns the components that could be used for cooking, there's a myriad of those. You can collect herbs, shrooms, hunt animals for meat. Every of these ingredients will add some unique effect to the prepared meal, so you should definitely experiment. In order to start cooking, you just have to:
- Find the pot - there's a ton of them in the game. They are all already set on bonfires. If you see one of those, approach it;
- Then you need to prepare the ingredients - open the inventory and choose the ingredients that can be used for cooking. Choose each separately and select Hold to place them in Link's hands. You can choose five components tops, for one meal.
- Throw the chosen ingredients into the pot - after a few seconds the meal will be ready, and you will learn what have you just cooked. The meal will be added to the inventory, available for eating at any time.
Also remember that meals can be sold for a lot of money.
Why not experiment with different combinations when cooking? However, also a good idea is to use the same five components to create a very effective meal. Here are some examples:
- Five apples will let you prepare Simmered Fruit - this meal guarantees replenishment of five hearts at once. Apples are so abundant, and this meal is so easy - especially at the beginning, this potions is just invaluable.
- Five Endura Carrots will let you cook Enduring Fried Wild Greens - this can be sold for as much as 420 Rupees. The carrots can be found near the great fairies (check out the chapter about upgrading the armor),
- Hearty Radish + Hearty Truffle - you will get Hearty Steamed Mushrooms, which replenishes full health. If you have all hearts full during the consumption, you will get four temporary hearts.
- Steak + Hearty Truffle - you will get Hearty Mushroom Skewer. Same story: it replenishes full health or adds four temporary hearts if you have all hearts full during the consumption.
- Five Spicy Pepper - you will get Spicy Sauteed Peppers that replenishes five hearts and increases cold resistance for ten minutes.
- Steak - cooking steak at the pot will get you a Seared Steak, which adds 1,5 heart.
- 2x Steak, 2x Hylian Shroom, 1x Apple - you will get Meat and Mushroom Skewer, that adds 7 hearts,
- 1x Ironshroom, 1x Raw Prime Meat, 1x Hylian Rice, 1x Rock Salt - this combination will yield Tough Prime Meat and Rice Bowl - a meal that will replenish 6 hearts and will increase your defense for 3,5 minutes.
- Each failed recipe creates Dubious Food, which replenishes two hearts.