When you begin exploring and will reach o big grazing field with dense grass, there's a chance you will stumble upon a group of horses. In order to mount one of them, you have to start sneaking, sneak behind the horse and jump on its back. If the horse's coat is solid, the animal will be more aggressive and might try to buck you off. You have to repeatedly press the button responsible for staying on the horse - do it as quickly as possible. This consumes endurance and pretty often you may not be able to complete the action of taming a horse.
There are a couple of rules here that should be remembered:
- Horses of solid coat (uniformly black or brown) are more difficult to tame; you will need a couple of stamina upgrades to be able to tame them.
- At the initial stages of the game, you should tame horses that have spotted coat.
When you manage to tame a horse, take it to the stable. For 20 Rupees you can register your horse, which will let you give it a name and learn its stats; you will also get a saddle and will be able to call your horse at any time in the game, which can be very useful when your horse gets lost somewhere along the way.
As I've already mentioned, each horse has different stats: strength, speed, stamina and temperament. Horses that have better stats, are obviously more difficult to tame, hence taming them will require many upgrades of your stamina. Choose appropriate horses for different challenges - if you want to use them for combat, choose stronger horses. Should you need a horse for a lengthy journey, you might want to choose a more enduring or speedy animal.
Taming a horse
Besides the stats I mentioned, horses also have a bond meter, which indicates how loyal are they towards Link. At the very beginning, right after being tamed, the horse will be very nervous and might not always obey: instead of turning right, it may run the other way, or just stop in its tracks. It's totally normal - a bond has to be created between the mare and the rider. The way to do it is as follows:
- If the horse is shaking its head when you do something dangerous - like a sudden halt from full-on gallop - it's a sign that you should soothe the animal by pressing the right button.
- Feed apples to the horse to reinforce the bond between the animal and Link.
- Especially earlier on, reward the horse (by pressing the soothe button), when it's following your orders and is generally obedient.