Torment: Tides of Numenera allows you to create a hero with any set of skills and personality you like. However, there are certain skills (typically called "perks") that are very useful in the beginning, as well as in the later stages of the game. This group includes abilities that allow you to influence your interlocutor, or add more ways in which you can interact with your surroundings. Some of the dialogue options and activities will remain invisible if you are missing the required perk. Most of the time, these abilities offer a unique, more satisfying insight into the world or the chosen character, e.g. using Anamnesis to learn more about genesis of the given item or a device, or using one of the interlocutor skills to out-talk or intimidate your target. Your repertoire will be dependent on the chosen playstyle, however some of the skills are more worth-while than others. I've decided to list the following ones:
- Anamnesis - Your character is the Last Castoff, a person balancing on the edge of his current life and remnants of former memories and identities. Anamnesis helps with regaining access to the memories of former identities of the Changing God. A Novice of Anamnesis has +15% chance of unlocking new dialogue options and interactions - each skill level increases the chance by 15%. (up to +30%)
- Intimidation - allows you to intimidate or influence others. Each level adds additional +15% chance of success (up to +30%). Consider it - as an aggressive approach often ends with a positive outcome.
- Perception - unlocks hidden dialogue options through noticing things a normal eye might miss. A very useful skill that helps you reveal interesting details and hidden tidbits. Each level adds additional +15% chance of success (up to +30%).
- Deception - Another perk that helps to save your skin during many encounters - consider it if you're focusing on slyness and getting what you want without violence. (+15% chance, up to +30%).
- Persuasion - An even more useful skill - a more hands-on approach. Definitely a must if you want to see alternative variants of many quests. Jacks are more than welcome. (+15% chance, up to +30%).
- Tidal Affinity - A Nano-only perk, allowing the player to learn the superficial thoughts of most humans and creatures. An immensely interesting ability, useful in learning the intentions or loyalties of your interlocutor.