The Banner Saga Game Guide & Walkthrough (1/59)
This unofficial guide to The Banner Saga consists primarily of a very detailed walkthrough of the singleplayer mode. The solution focuses mainly on presenting all battles fought by main characters (also optional ones) and tracing their conversations for possible behavior variants and consequences of their decisions. Each decision is described and explained in detail, which should help you to make the right choice.
First part of this guide describes in detail both basic and advanced mechanisms of turn-based fights and also addresses the issues of management of the caravan and taking care of playable characters. You'll also learn how to develop available heroes, which skills are most useful and how to choose proper equipment. Thanks to this information you'll have no problem to deal with encountered problems and no enemy will be a challenge for you. The guide is completed by a list of available achievements which can be unlocked via Steam service.
The Banner Saga is a debut project of independent development studio named Stoic, founded by people who formerly worked at Star Wars: The Old Republic. This is RPG game distinguished by extensive turn-based fighting system and story plot set in Norse mythology. During the gameplay you are following a group of Vikings exploring the world, where gods were killed in unspecified circumstances.
The Banner Saga guide contains:
- Detailed walkthrough of the singleplayer campaign;
- Description of all fights fought by main characters;
- Information on possible decision choices and their consequences;
- Description of turn-based fights mechanisms;
- Hints on managing the caravan;
- Description of character development and equipment;
- List of achievements.
Jacek "Stranger" Halas
Translated by: Maciej "Elrond" Myrcha
The Banner Saga Game Guide & Walkthrough (1/59)
The Banner Saga
PC AND PS4 iOS PSV XONE
The Banner Saga Video Game
genre: classic RPG
publisher: Versus Evil
Are you a fan a Norse mythology?
WHAT IS THE BANNER SAGA?
The Banner Saga is an epic role-playing game inspired by Viking legend. Hand-painted landscapes portray a world eerily suspended in perpetual twilight. Cities and towns begin to crumble into chaos. Heroes abandon their hearths and homes to traverse the snowy countryside, gaining allies along the way to help battle a strange, new threat.
Decisions have consequences; wise choices must be made when conversing with possible allies during intricately crafted dialogues. Turn-based strategy brings tactical challenge in hand-animated battle sequences. With visuals evocative of the golden age of animation, The Banner Saga brings skillfully crafted art, story and strategy to gamers waiting to re-experience classic adventures and tactics.
Player choice that drives your narrative Every decision you make in travel, conversation and combat has a meaningful effect on the outcome as your story unfolds.
Over 25 playable characters from 2 different races, human and Varl (horned giants) Embark on your epic journey with a variety of characters from 7 different classes, each with unique abilities and upgrade options to fit your play style.
Strategic combat with consequences Victory or defeat and even the permanent loss of a character depends on which characters you choose to take into battle and what tactics you employ while in combat.
The journey is half the battle Your role in building and managing your caravan as you travel the vast frozen landscape is critical to not only your own survival but the survival of an entire civilization.
An epic Viking saga brought to life in 2D glory Beautifully hand drawn combat sequences and animations, accompanied by an evocative score from Grammy-nominated composer Austin Wintory, will immerse you into a fantasy realm based on Norse mythology.
Multiplayer Combat Enhanced Sharpen your combat skills in the free to play “Factions” multiplayer game. As you play through the single player experience you’ll also unlock new characters to use in multiplayer.
You are not permitted to copy any image, text or info from this page.
This site is not assotiated with and/or endorsed by the Versus Evil or Stoic. Official The Banner Saga page at http://stoicstudio.com/
All logos and images are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Copyright © 2000 - 2016 GRY-Online S.A. for gamepressure.com, unofficial game guides, walkthroughs,
secrets, game tips, maps & strategies for top games.
Follow us and get updates on our Game Guides and Release Dates.
Comments and responses
timpop 28/04/2016 06:53
[link] - Free riot points! Check out this page with free RP codes :) Only three steps in 5 mins and you will get your code free!! VISIT, DOWNLOAD AND ENJOY BETTER GAME!
Avarghaladion 08/01/2015 17:56
This pose includes a guide for a perfect playthrough but includes some spoilers, for clarity).
This is a very good guide but it is important to note that many of the random events will take place at different times determined by RNG. RNG sets when random events might happen by assigning a few different possibilities to differenty parts of the journey on different playthroughs and morale determines which one you'll actually get at certain parts.
It is important to note that a "perfect" altruistic/heroic playthrough (ie. one in which you never starve or lose clansmen, morale never drops below normal, you get at least 5 rank 5 characters, you get 5 rank 5 items, you only lose characters that are guaranteed to leave/die, and you get all achievements except for Onef's, Ekill's, Normal playthrough, and Forced March) requires the following:
*Note: This includes forcing your caravan to accept the Dredge baby and other choices like convincing Jorundr to let you blow up the bridge.*
- Absolutely must play on hard (more renown earned from combat).
- Must abstain from ever buying items from the market until very late game, at which time you'll already have all the items you'd want/need.
- Must abstain from spending any renown whatsoever in Chapter 2.
- Must fight and win ever battle and fight/win the second part of every war (except for battles that result in the otherwise avoidable death of characters eg. trying to fight through the dredge a second time in chapter 7, which gets Hogun and Mogun killed.
- In Chapter 2 you MUST take the supply cart by force, fight the men at the gates, then stay outside the walls. This is so you can get the renown from the 3 battles this yields at the start of Chapter 4 as well. Note: Ekill will still join your caravan as an unnamed clansmen/fighter, as indicated by Nid later) and Okef will be dead, killed by you when you take the caravan. Failure to take this exact path makes it impossible to prevent starvation in Chapter 3 while simultaneously mainting normal+ morale. This is also, fortunately, the secondmost heroic/altruistic path available as you add over a hundred people to your clan after saving them from Dredge instead of fighting a fruitless gang war inside the walls of Frostvellr. The most heroic/altruistic path would involve not killing the supply cart but if you do this you won't have enough renown to get Godscale AND not starve AND not suffer poor morale, plus you don't get to kill evil Okef... so meh.
- Surviving Chapter 3 without starvation/morale loss requires a small amount of RNG and decision making that optimizes your morale:supply returns on the road so you can just barely sneak by. Even if you take the perfect path, you may be presented with random events that make it impossible to resupply before either you starve or morale drops. You can game the system by loading the game, when you get a bad event, and sleeping until your morale is good instead of normal. This yields a different event but unless it's worth the food it took you to raise morale it probably won't be enough. Basically, you really just need at least one supply boon on the road or a few morale boost events. Getting fire/blizzard or any of the terribad luck draws out of Frostvellr will pwn your run.
- The only way to minimize losses during the siege at the end of the game is to spend the first night putting your clansmen in the abandoned buildings and assigning leaders. Every other night you have to help Iver defend the walls or you will lose most of your fighters. Also, if you've been going for the perfect game clear you'll arrive in Boersgard with more than enough supplies to finish the game so you can abstain from getting supplies in town entirely. Also, the ravens can handle the riot at the docks without your help. Just always fight.
If you do all this you will finish the game with ~660 clansmen and the only character to die is Fasolt and Rook/Allette (who die no matter what), give or take a few clansmen depending on the random events you got. Having bought nothing but supplies in every town but Boersgard and levelling 4 characters to rank 5 (Eyvind was my 5th) I ended with 216 renown. Note: Most of that you get in Boersgard, aside from what you had in excess and used to rank up your other 4 dream-team members.
It is not possible to accomplish the perfect playthrough while getting the "Forced March" achievement.
jeeheli 09/07/2014 18:36
Is the options for Chapter 2 ending true?
I ended up starting Chapter 4 with fighting any way, there is no option lead to peace with Ekkil