The main thing in RuneScape is to make quests. Thanks to them you gain levels and new, better equipment. Quests in the game are divided due to the difficulty and complexity. The most difficult ones (5 lvl) require from you thinking and dealing with particular in-game elements. Good example is illustrated on the screen above. To complete it, you have to use your Cooking and Thieving. Of course, you can always look into your journal to check whether you lack of something or where you can find a particular item or task.
Rewards depend on and are connected with the quests. For example, if you finish the quest with Cooking, you'll get leveled up in that skill.
RuneScape differs heavily from the standard MMO games. In here, you don't have to spend hours on endless killing of monsters. Quests are thought thoroughly and rewards meaningful. Every quest gives you also quest points. It's a measure of difficulty level required and requirements for another quests.
In some quests, you'll get markers on the road and a map. It's a simplification which made the game easier for certain.
But in the majority of quests, you won't find markers and you'll have to find yourself on your own in this huge world. The only simplification is a terrain marked on the map where you have to look for the place to complete the quest. It may be a NPC, item to be found, cave to be searched or even a special tree to be chopped down in which you find a piece of paper you need. Quests base on the hero skills. In every of them you'll have to use one (or more) of them to complete the quest.
Quests in RuneScape are divided on two main groups: for members and free ones. Unfortunately, there is only a dozen or so quests for the free-to-play game model. They are much simpler than the one available for members, but they show all the mechanics and encourage a player to buy a membership.
List of free-to-play quests in RuneScape 3:
- Black Knights Fortress - You begin this mission in Falador at NPC called Sir Amik Var, who is in the nearby castle. You need just 10 points of defence to be able to begin this quest.
- Cook's Assistant - You begin at Lumbridge's castle, at the chef. Quest has no requirements.
- Death Plateau - Quest begins in the camp in Burthorpe at Denulth. Quest has no requirements, so you can begin it in any moment. The simplification is that when you train Agility, you will be able to use shortcuts in caves of Death Plateau.
- Demon Slayer - You begin this mission in church in Varrock at Grufeld Bach. This is mainly for the melee warriors. During it you can train fighting demons face to face. A big simplification is a to have a high level of Prayer. The last boss is insesible for magic and physical attacks.
- Dragon Slayer - The most difficult and complicated quest in free-to-play. You begin this mission after talking with the guild boss in Champions Guild in Varrock. You have to have 33 quest points to begin this quest.
- Druidic Ritual - You begin this quest in Burthorpe in Hero guild at Kaqemex. Thanks to that, you'll get to know how works the summon skill (but it's payable).
- Ernest The Chicken - Quest can begin at Veronica in Draynor Village. Thanks to it, you get 3 thousands of feather needed, for example, for making arrows.
- Goblin Diplomacy - You begin this in Goblin Village at general Wartface. You have to make special dyes for the general.
- Gunnar Ground - You begin this quest in Barbarian Village at Dororan. You have to have level 5 of Crafting to begin this.
- Imp Cacher - Quest can be taken from Mizgog who is in the mage tower in Misthalin. You'll fight imps in this mission.
- Let Them Eat Pie - You begin this in Taverley at Nails Newton. No requirements.
- Myths of White Lands - Quest begins at Explorer Jack in the city of Lumbridge. Quest requires a lot of Agility, Woodcuting and Crafting.
- Pirate's Treasure - This mission can be started in seaport Sarim in Asgarnia,when you find a chest next to the pub. No requirements.
- The Blood Pact - Quest begins after a conversation with Xenia on the cemetary of Lumbridge. No requirements.
- The Knight's Sword - You cantake this mission in Falador, at the landlord. To be able to begin this, you have to have at least 10 level in Mining.
- The Restless Ghost - Quest begins at Aereck standing in the church in Lumbridge. No requirements.
- Rune Mysteries - This mission begins after talking with Ariane, who is standing at the mage tower in Misthalin. You need to have at least one offensive spell to begin this quest.
- Shield of Arrav - Reldo gives you this mission. He can be found in Varrock palace. You need at least 23 level of Melee fighting to begin this quest.
- Stolen Hearts - Quest can be taken from Ozan in Draynor Village. No requirements.
- Swept Away - This quest begins from Maggie nearby the mage tower. No requirements.
- Vampire Slayer - Quest available at Morgan in Draynor Village. The only requirement is to have fighting skill on a level which allows you to kill vampires.
- What's Mine is Yours - You begin this quest in Taverley by talking with Doric, next to the main gate to the city. You need Smithing at the 5 level.
- Wolf Whistle - Quest begins in Taverley after talking to Pikkupstix. No requirements.
For completing quests, you obtain rewards connected to their theme. For example, after finishing mission Let Them Eat Pie! you get Cooking and Thieving points - those skills you were using during this mission.
Some quests, like Death Plateau, let you also check minigames as a form of reward (in this case: Squeal of Fortune).