The main protagonist, in inFamous: Second Son, can use many different powers and abilities. A lot of them are locked, at the beginning of the game and you gain access to them in the course of the game's storyline, or by spending the Blast Shards that you collected. Additionally, it is worth knowing that some of the more advanced abilities are available only after you reach the specific hero, or villain, level.
At any point you can, of course, check out on the tree of powers, by pressing the Options button and accessing the correct tab (L1 and R1 buttons). The tree is quite feeble at the beginning, but it will grow to have many branches, towards the end of the game.
The abilities available in the game, are divided into five distinct categories:
- Melee - This is the only category that is not completely connected with using Delsin's supernatural powers.
- Smoke - You gain access to this category, still while completing the game's prologue.
- Neon - You gain access to this category, while completing the fifth mission of the game (Go Fetch).
- Video - You gain access to this category, while completing the twelfth main mission of the game (Zero to Hero).
- Concrete - you gain access to this category while fighting the final showdown in mission 17a (Expose Augustine) or 17b (Kill Augustine). This means that you can start using it, without any restrictions, only after you have completed the storyline of the game.
On the following pages of this chapter, you will find tables with comments concerning the individual powers, which make up the specific categories (you can find detailed descriptions in the game - the right side of the screen, after you have selected an individual power). The bold type has been used to highlight those of the powers that are especially attention-worthy, already at the initial stages of the game.
Important note: If you manage to collect all of the Blast Shards, from each district of the city, (their whereabouts are displayed on the map, starting with the moment at which you destroy the mobile command center in a given district), you will be able to buy all of the "universal" abilities and upgrades, as well as the powers that are connected with your karmic path (e.g. all the powers that are available for the hero only).