In Final Fantasy XV, aside from accumulating experience points, you can also acquire AP points. Those are used to unlock new abilities and/or upgrade the ones you've already purchased, increasing the effectiveness of your characters and, basically, making the game easier for yourself. However, unlocking all of the available abilities in the game requires thousands of AP points - acquiring them is both problematic and extremely time-consuming. In this chapter you will find information that will allow you to speed up the process, as well as some hints about the recommended abilities to unlock.
Increasing AP gain
AP gain can easily be enhanced by unlocking a number of abilities from the Exploration Ascension tree. Those abilities will allow your party to accumulate AP points by performing basic actions, such as traveling with Regalia, on top of a Chocobo, or by fishing. Those abilities are as follows:
- Roadrunning from the Exploration Ascension tree - gives AP by travelling with Regalia. You will receive 1 AP for every 1.25 mile you travel.
- Chocobump from the Exploration Ascension tree. Similar to the above described one, with a single exception - you will receive AP for traveling on top of a Chocobo. For every 0.875 mile you will get 1 AP.
- Angler Action from the Exploration Ascension tree - you will receive 1 AP for catching a fish.
- Sport-fishing from the Exploration Ascension tree - you will receive additional AP for catching a large fish. More on that can be found in the "Fishing" chapter.
- Happy Camping from the Exploration Ascension tree - you will receive 1 AP each time you make a camp in a different place than your previous sleeping place.
- Happier Camping from the Exploration Ascension tree - the same as above, but gives 2 AP for setting up a camp.
- Snapshot from the Exploration Ascension tree - 1 AP each time Prompto uses his Snapshot ability. The ability has no practical use - no point to use it in combat.
- Choco-Jocket from the Exploration Ascension tree - 1 AP for each Chocobo race you win. Just like with Snapshot - the ability has no practical use.
- Apetize from the Exploration Ascension tree - 1 AP for preparing a meal that is someone's favorite dish. Another ability not worth the amount of AP required to unlock it.
- Armiger Action from the Armiger Ascension tree - 1 AP each time you activate Armiger. Extremely useful ability.
- Armiger Chain Reaction from the Armiger Ascension tree - 1 AP each time you activate Armiger Chain. This ability is also well worth the investment.
With those abilities you will be able to acquire thousands of additional AP points during your journey. Those won't give you an instant effect and AP boost, like the second method presented in this chapter, but they are still worth the AP required to unlock them - especially if you can purchase them early.
The most efficient (when it comes to the amount of time invested) method to farm AP is to continuously kill weak enemies with a warp-strike. Each time you do so, you will earn 1 AP, allowing you to easily farm even a thousand AP points during a single hour. This method, however, is extremely tedious - but without it you won't be able to unlock all of the abilities.
Below you can find a video presenting the said method of farming AP.