Two bad guys - agile and fast Ornstein and his bigger but slower buddy - Smough. First of them uses a spear and magic - he deals lightning-based damage. The second one is slower but has a large range thanks to his giant hammer.
Attacks and weaknesses
In this fight you deal with two characters and each of them has different skills:
Ornstein - agile and fast. Armed with a spear. Most of his attacks can be blocked. Some of them are however filled with magic. Weakness: fire (any weapon dealing fire-based damage is perfect against him).
- two lightning bolts - a standard (deal small damage) and enhanced one (deal large damage). Both projectiles can be blocked with a good shield.
- charge - most of the fighting Ornstein will keep his distance but from time to time he will run in front of Smough. He uses a charge to surprise a player, thanks to which he can quickly find himself next to you.
- combos - the demon uses different combo hits. Most of them can be blocked with a shield.
Smough - large and only slightly less agile! Armed with a giant hammer. What's interesting, most of his swings can be blocked - also a charge which throws you in the air. Weakness: lightning (a spear found next to Iron Golem is perfect for this fight, but you might consider enhancing it).
- hammer swings - from the left, from the right and from above the head. Sometimes in double or even triple sequence (one blow after other). Side attacks can be avoided by rolling to the opposite direction. Overhead swing can be avoided by jumping aside.
- charge - in this attack he quickly runs to you and hits from below throwing you in the airs. The easiest tactics is to flee by rolling backwards twice. There are two alternatives though: you can block it with a good shield or take a risk and roll over under Smough (forwards).
- butt slam - if you get to close to Smough, demon will jump and slam the ground. In the basic form of the beast (before killing his buddy), this slam has small range. But enhanced Smough (after killing Ornstein) makes the similar attack but also uses lightning beams - avoid this for all costs by rolling backwards twice!
1) Be sure to focus on only ONE opponent. After killing the demon, the second one renews his life and takes his mate's skills. If you kill Smough first, Ornstein will become a giant. When you kill Ornstein first, Smough's attack will deal also lightning-based damage. The easiest way is to deal with Ornstein first, because his enhanced version is very strong (so you want to avoid fighting it).
2) During the fight with two opponents, observe them both. Try to use pillars to split your opponents and attack one of them (we really suggest dealing with Ornstein first). Watch out for Smough's attacks - you have to learn how to avoid them. Remember - determination and patience is a key - by watching carefully both opponents you'll be able to avoid most damage and attack enemies from a safe position.
3) Do not be put down in a corner - do not get close to corners when avoiding enemies' attacks. It will be very difficult to get out of the corner, when two opponents start attacking you.
Melee fight - effective tactics, if you know how enemies behave. Normally you can play defensive style (a shield + spear/other weapon) or offensive style (on weapon carried in two hands). Of course the first method takes time but it is safer (if you have enough Stamina of course). In this case equip your character with a good shield (Eagle Shield) and a good weapon.
What to chose? Against Ornstein - a weapon dealing fire-based damage. If you do not have such weapon, you can use a spear dealing lightning-based spear. By using such weapon you can attack while hiding behind the shield.
If you fight using a shield and a weapon, circle around the arena (it is best to go back while having both opponents in front of you) with raised shield and wait until Ornstein get close to you. Once he does so, try to hit him once or twice and back off from running Smough. It is not easy because both enemies move randomly, so try to use pillars to split them up.
Do not charge - by circling around the chamber and successively injuring Ornstein, you'll make it. Once the boss is dead, focus on Smough. In this part of fight is all about watching out for his area attack (jump from above). Other attack can be easily avoided (by jumping aside). Attack your opponent mainly after his jump from above or overhead blow and swings. Jump aside to avoid them and then run toward the beast and hit its side.
Distance fight - during most of the fight you are able to aim the opponent and shoot him with a ranged weapon. But this requires powerful equipment and a proper place to perform this. In other case the fight will take really long.