In Dark Souls you'll find plenty of weapons and armor sets - we're describing only these, which make the gameplay easier plus places where you can find them.
1) Drake Sword - one of the first powerful swords you can find. In order to get it, you have to shoot the wyvern's tail several times, while you're under the bridge (between Undead Burg and Undead Parish). It is a perfect weapon for the first part of the game. Later on it is not enough.
2) Lighting Spear - useful weapon, which can be obtained in Sen's Fortress. Lightning damage is powerful but game creators try to make it weaker. All spears are good because you can use them while having your shield raised.
3) Zweihander - a large sword which can be nicely enhanced. You can find it on the cemetery next to the entrance to Catacombs (at the very end of locations - it is guarded by large group of skeletons).
4) Halberd - specific weapons while guaranteeing good hits.
5) Longbow - if enhanced, it is good enough for the entire game.
Shield can be divided in three types:
1) Small - ideal for parrying/counterattacking, poor with blocking.
2) Standard - good for parrying/counterattacking and blocking.
3) Greatshields - perfect for blocking.
We suggest using following shields:
Target Shield - Small. Perfect for parrying and only for that. You'll find it in Undead Burg before the fight with Capra Demon.
Hollow Soldier Shield - Standard - you can find it quite early, because it is dropped by undead. It is fairly good at the start levels.
Spider Shield - Standard - this shield defends against poison. Useful in some situations. You'll find it in Depths after jumping into secret exit behind the Butcher's table.
Dragon Crest Shield - Standard - this shield defends against fire. It is located in Valley of Drakes next to undead dragon.
Black Knight Shield - Standard - good for blocking and parrying. It is dropped on the later part of the game by Black Knight.
Eagle Shield - Greatshield - on of the first great shield you can find, so it is worth to use it. Location - Blighttown, next to bonfire.
Dingy Set - it is a set with great resistance against curses, which can be collected after death of Fire Keeper in Firelink Shrine (dumb woman in the cell). For this event to occur, you have to rescue a prisoner from the cathedral before the fight with Bell Gargoyle and leave him alone. This armor is useful in some places.
Gold-Hemmed Black Set - great armor, offering high resistance for poison. It is also light and offers surprisingly good physical defense. Even despite its funny. How to get it: you can obtain it right after defeating Queelag and getting to Demon's Ruins. Just go to the location of fight with boss Ceaseless Discharge (check the location's description). Then, instead of attacking the giant, run to the altar behind him and take the set.
Havel's Set or Stone Armor Set - two heavy armors. First of them can be found in Anor Londo (in a basement behind the room with fireplace, where the passage is hidden). The second on is located in Darkroot Garden (near the ruins where Alvina, the cat, resides). Wearing heavy armors increases maximum burden and we do not want to have slow character. The solution to this is Havel's Ring, which you'll obtain after fighting with Havelem (a similar effect has Mask of the Father dropped randomly from Pinwheel).
Set Of Artorias - its characteristic feature is the high durability. An additional asset is the well balanced durability, against all the other factors (around 60pts per factor)You can buy the armor from Donhalla of Zena after you kill Artorias. Each element is the cost of 20 000 souls.